Amendments to the Unified Interpretations to MARPOL Annex I Reg 12.2
- 09 September 2011 11:21
- 18 December 2012 08:32
As reported in our Weekly News 29.2011, IMO/MEPC 62 agreed to a set of amendments to the Unified Interpretation to regulation 12.2 of MARPOL Annex I which bring clarifications that the new provision will not apply to ships delivered before 1 January 2014. To see the article in WN 29 click here.
The full text of the amendments was issued this week by the IMO as document MEPC.1/Circ.753.
1. The existing Unified Interpretation to Regulation 12.2 should read as an interpretation to Regulation 12.2.1.
2. A new Unified Interpretation to Regulation 12.2.2 is added as follows:
Regulation 12.2.2 – Sludge tank discharge piping
1. Regulation 12.2.2 should not be retroactively applied to ships delivered before 1 January 2014*.
2. There should be no interconnections between the sludge tank discharge piping and bilge-water piping other than possible common piping leading to the standard discharge connection referred to in Regulation 13.
3. For ships delivered before 1 January 2014*, existing arrangements where the oil residue (sludge) tank(s) have discharge connections to oily bilge water holding tank(s), tank top or oily water separator may be accepted
* Ship delivered before 1 January 2014 means a ship:
1. for which the building contract is placed before 1 January 2011; or
2. in the absence of a building contract, the keel of which is laid or which is at a similar stage of construction before 1 January 2012; or
3. the delivery of which is before 1 January 2014.
Contact: Dragos Rauta