"While the industry’s attention focused on the entry into force of the global sulphur cap, the number of environmental regulations continued to grow as we entered 2020 with India’s national rules for single-use plastics (SUP) being one such example. The Committee has therefore continued to remain focused on assisting INTERTANKO’s members in managing the various local, national and regional rules on environmental matters, while also monitoring and proactively engaging on the international level at the IMO.
"The Committee was quick to respond to India’s new SUP regulations with guidance and templates for members use issued at the end of January 2020. Continuing into 2020 the focus is to update INTERTANKO’s Waste Guide to reflect the global focus on plastics as well as the introduction of drinking water solutions onboard. The Committee is also working on assisting members meet their obligations with the European Union’s Ship Recycling Regulation (EU SRR) and the need to have Inventories of Hazardous Materials (IHMs) on board European trading vessels by 31 December 2020. At the international level work continues in reviewing the IMO’s Biofouling Guidance as well as ironing out ongoing implementation challenges with the Ballast Water Management Convention.
"A new work item in 2020 is the focus on sustainable reporting and meeting the growing demand on member companies to submit information on their environmental, social and governance objectives.”
Ole Christian Schroder, Chairman
- To develop understanding ofenvironmental issues
- To participate and inform, so that issues directly affecting tanker operations are better represented by INTERTANKO for the benefit of ts Member
- To proactively develop environmental policies for INTERTANKO to follow up at IMO and elsewhere
- To establish effective dialogue with environmental groups
- Ballast Water Management *
- Environmental Compliance
- Biofouling and Antifouling
- United States Vessel Incidental Discharge Act (VIDA)
- Port Reception Facilities
- Environmental Performance and Monitoring
- Ship Recycling
- Liaison with EnvironmentalOrganisations
- Environmental Projects and Information Sharing
- Air emissions *
- Waste Management and MARPOL Annex V
- Integrated Bilge TreatmentSystems (IBTS) *
- Underwater noise from ships
- Electronic record books
* items jointly addressed with ISTEC
What is the Committee looking to achieve in 2020 and beyond?
- Release Guide to Mitigating and Managing BWMS Failures on Tankers
- Release An Introduction to Environmental Compliance
- Guidance on entries in the Ballast Water Record Book
- Guidance on compliance with Ship Recycling Regulations: EU and IMO
- Launch of Environmental Performance and Monitoring tool
- Update Guide to Modern Antifouling Systems and Biofouling Management
Chairman: Ole Christian Schroder, Chairman
Secretary: Tim Wilkins
INTERTANKO’s Environment Committee meets via Webex
INTERTANKO’s Environment Committee met for its first virtual meeting on 24-25 September. Not only was this the first time that... MORE
Environment Committee Minutes now available
The Minutes from INTERTANKO’s Environment Committee meeting held in London 5-6 February 2020 are now available on the INTERTANKO website.... MORE
INTERTANKO Environment Committee meets in London, 5-6 February
INTERTANKO’s Environment Committee met last week in London and engaged on the Association’s key environmental issues including ship recycling, biofouling... MORE
Environmental Committee meeting minutes now available
The Minutes from INTERTANKO’s Environmental Committee meeting held in Athens 25-26 September are now available on the INTERTANKO website. The... MORE
Environmental Committee minutes now available
The Minutes from INTERTANKO’s Environmental Committee meeting held in Antwerp 12-13 March are now available on the INTERTANKO website. The... MORE
INTERTANKO Storage and Hull Fouling Clauses
Recent months have seen an increase in the use of vessels to store crude oil at sea. INTERTANKO has consequently... MORE
INTERTANKO Position on Ship Recycling
INTERTANKO Statement on Ship Recycling and the Hong Kong Convention INTERTANKO supports the introduction of international environmental and safety standards... MORE
Terms of Reference
TERMS OF REFERENCE
1. AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- 1.1. To develop INTERTANKO’s understanding of environmental issues and to participate in an informed manner, so that the issues directly affecting tanker operations are better represented by the Association for the benefit of its members.
- 1.2. To develop environmental policies for INTERTANKO to follow up at the IMO and elsewhere, and to be pro-active in approach.
- 1.3. To establish an effective dialogue with environmental groups.
- 2.1. The Environmental Committee is composed of a maximum of 20 members at any one time. The Committee will draw on additional outside expertise if required.
- 2.2. The Committee members term is two years which can be extended for another two years, unless other reasons apply and are approved by the Executive Committee. Examples of when other reasons apply could include when it is difficult to get new members to join a Committee or the member has specific expertise that would be valuable in the resolution of an important issue under discussion by the Committee.
- 2.3. Members should attend Committee meetings and actively participate in the Committee discussions. Repeated non‐attendance/non contribution may result in a review of Committee membership by the Committee Chairman and Secretary and a recommendation of removal from the committee. A Committee member may, on occasion, be represented by an alternate from his company.
- 2.4. Membership on the Committee is based on the expertise/qualifications of the individual, therefore, membership on a Committee rests with the individual, not the company that the individual works for.
- 2.5. The Committee shall be composed of individuals from Member companies that have experience and expertise which will contribute to the aims and objectives of the Committee and its work programme items.
- 3.1. The Committee shall elect from among its members a Chairman and up to two Vice-Chairmen which are to be approved by the Council.
- 3.2. The Chairman’s term of office is two years which can be extended for another two years, unless other reasons apply and are approved by the Executive Committee. Examples of when other reasons apply could include when a new Chairman cannot be found or the resolution of an important issue under discussion by the Committee would benefit from the Chairman’s leadership.
- 3.2. The Chairman will also act as a Vice-Chairman to ISTEC on Environmental issues.
- 4.1. The Committee aims to meet at least twice a year.
- 4.2. The Chairman may invite observers to the meetings. INTERTANKO’s Chairman, ISTEC Chairman and Managing Director may participate in the meetings.
5. TRAVEL EXPENSES
- 5.1. The travel expenses of the Committee’s membership should be paid for by the member company.
6. TERMS OF REFERENCE
- 6.1. The Terms of Reference shall be approved by INTERTANKO’s Council.
- 7.1. The INTERTANKO Secretariat undertakes the secretarial and administrative tasks for the Committee.
- 8.1. The Environmental Committee will report to INTERTANKO’s Council through its Chairman, as required.
Updated and approved at 37th Meeting held in Istanbul on 12th September 2013.
Endorsed by the Council in Hong Kong on 26th November 2013.
Anglo-Eastern Ship Management Ltd
Marinvest Shipping AB
Ms. Panagiota P. Chrysanthi
Andriaki Shipping Co Ltd
Capt. Allan Dutton
Mr. Antonios Georgantzis
Latsco Marine Management Inc
Ms. Marina Hadjipateras
Dorian (Hellas) SA
Capt. Pradeep Kale
Teekay Marine (Singapore) Pte Ltd
Mr. Martin MacMahon
Bernhard Schulte (Hamburg)
Tsakos Columbia Ship Management
Mr. Ko Ko Naing
Northern Marine Management Ltd.
Capt. Michael Reppas
Sea World Management & Trading Inc
Ms. Emma Scheiris
Exmar Marine NV
Mr. Ole Christian Schroder
Scorpio Tankers Inc.
Ms. Maria Sotiriou
Minerva Marine Inc
Mr. Fabio Tagliavia
d'Amico Societá di Navigazione SpA
Capt. Fokion Zikoulis
Euronav Ship Management (Hellas) Ltd.
Mr. Nikolay Zinenko
SCF Management Services (Cyprus) Ltd