Terms of Reference
ASIAN REGIONAL PANEL
TERMS OF REFERENCE
1. AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The overall aim of the INTERTANKO Asian Regional Panel is to provide an open forum for Members and Associate Members to promote the activities and priorities of the regional membership in relation to the Association and to boost the participation of Asia’s tanker shipping interests in the activities of the Association. To this end, the Panel should:
- 1.1 Promote the activities, priorities and concerns of the regional tanker community relative to the overall activities of the Association.
- 1.2 Facilitate communication and promote the sharing of experiences between Members and with the Association
- 1.3 Act as a catalyst for boosting the participation and involvement of the Members based in the region in the activities of the Association.
- 1.4 Act as resource group for INTERTANKO bodies, establishing priorities and raising matters of concern to the regional tanker community.
- 1.5 Review regional legislative proposals and activities affecting the whole membership and address tanker issues peculiar to the region.
- 1.6 Assist the Association’s cooperation with industry, governmental and environmental bodies in the region.
- 1.7 Promote the policies and strategies of the Association in the region and the interaction between INTERTANKO and the wider industry, to achieve the best conditions for tanker owners and promote safety at sea and the protection of the environment.
The INTERTANKO Asian Regional Panel is an open forum for all Members and Associate Members of the Association, constituted by and responsible to INTERTANKO.
3. CHAIR / VICE-CHAIRS
In consultation with the Executive Committee, the Panel will nominate the Chair and up to three Vice Chairs for election by the INTERTANKO Council. They shall normally be elected for a period of two years and may serve for no more than three terms of two years.
The Panel should endeavour to achieve a balance in the geographical spread of the Chair and Vice-Chairs (N-E Asia, S-E Asia and Japan). The composition will be periodically reviewed so as to continue to reflect the balance of expertise and representation required.
The Panel is to meet as necessary, generally twice a year at venues or online, to be decided by the Chairman and the INTERTANKO Secretariat with a view to maximise Member engagement.
5. TRAVEL EXPENSES
The travel expenses of the Panel’s membership should be paid for by the member company.
6. TERMS OF REFERENCE
The Terms of the Reference for the Panel shall be approved by INTERTANKO’s Council.
The INTERTANKO Office undertakes the secretarial and administrative tasks for the Panel.
8. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Panel should pay due regard to relevant work being done by INTERTANKO Committees and guide its activities in line with the policies endorsed by the Council.
Main aims of the Asian Panel
- To provide a forum for the Asian membership to enhance their participation in the activities of the Association within the Asian membership
- To promote the objectives, policies and strategies of the Association
- To promote the activities and priorities of Asian Members in relation to the overall activities of the INTERTANKO governing bodies and committees
- To address key tanker issues in Asia
"While Asia offers all the promises for a shipping market revival on the back of continued Asian economic growth, it also bears all the burdens of regulatory compliance because over half of the world’s ships and shipping are owned and operated out of Asia. The Asian Regional Panel works hard to ensure an Asian voice in the tanker industry resonates within the halls of global regulatory compliance and promotes awareness and proactivity amongst Asia’s tanker owners."
Kenneth Koo (Group Chairman and CEO, TCC Group)
INTERTANKO Asian Panel Chairman
- Safety of navigation and environmental protection in the Asian Coastal Waters
- Piracy and armed robbery in the region
- Port reception facilities in Asia
- Port State Control
The Asian Regional Panel meets twice a year rotating between the maritime centres in Asia. All Members in Asia or Members with offices in Asia are welcome to attend the panel meetings.
Secretary: Elfian Harun
INTERTANKO Asian Regional Panel meets in Hong Kong
INTERTANKO’s Asian Regional Panel (ARP) met on 23 November at Grand Hyatt Hong Kong. With the Asian Panel Chair position... MORE
Asian Regional Panel meeting – Hong Kong, 23 November - Agenda available
The next Asian Regional Panel (ARP) meeting takes place on Thursday 23 November 2023, in Hong Kong. The meeting will... MORE
Asian Regional Panel report – March 2023, Kuala Lumpur
INTERTANKO’s Asian Regional Panel met in Kuala Lumpur on 16 March 2023, under the Chairmanship of Capt Rajalingam Subramaniam of... MORE
Asian Regional Panel meets in Kuala Lumpur
INTERTANKO’s Asian Regional Panel met in Kuala Lumpur at the DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur on 16 March, chaired by... MORE
Asian Regional Panel meeting – Kuala Lumpur, 16 March 2023 – Agenda available
The next Asian Regional Panel (ARP) meeting takes place on Thursday 16 March 2023, in Kuala Lumpur. The meeting will... MORE
Navigational Safety in Asian Coastal Waters
INTERTANKO's Asian Panel is engaged with regional and national authorities in regards to the safety of navigation in China and... MORE