Terms of Reference
ASIAN REGIONAL PANEL
TERMS OF REFERENCE
1. AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The overall aim of the INTERTANKO Asian Regional Panel is to boost the participation of Asia’s tanker shipping interests in the activities of the Association. More specific goals of the initiative can be itemised as follows:
- 1.1. to address tanker issues particular to the Asian region;
- 1.2. to make companies active in the region’s tanker shipping sector more aware of tanker shipping issues and activities
- 1.3. to exchange views and opinions and discuss matters of common interest; and
- 1.4. to increase membership in the Asian region thereby strengthening INTERTANKO’s collective voice in this rapidly expanding area.
The INTERTANKO Asian Regional Panel is an open forum for members with offices in Asia.
3. CHAIRMAN / VICE-CHAIRMEN
In consultation with the Executive Committee, the Panel will nominate the Chairman and two Vice-Chairmen for election by the Council. The term of Chairman and Vice-Chairmen is a two-year period which can be extended for further period(s).
The Panel should endeavour to achieve a balance in the geographical spread of the Chairman and Vice-Chairmen (N-E Asia, S-E Asia and Japan). The composition will be periodically reviewed by the Executive Committee, and the Secretariat so as to continue to reflect the balance of expertise and representation required.
- 4.1. The Asian Regional Panel is to meet as necessary, generally twice a year at venues to be decided by the Chairman and the INTERTANKO office.
- 4.2. The Chairman / Vice-Chairmen shall endeavour to attend a minimum of one meeting per year. Should a member not be able to attend, the member will be encouraged to submit written comments.
- 4.3. INTERTANKO’s Executive Committee members and members of the INTERTANKO Secretariat may participate in the meetings of the Panel and Steering Group.
5. TRAVEL EXPENSES
The travel expenses of the Panel’s membership should be paid for by the member company.
6. TERMS OF REFERENCE
The Terms of Reference shall be approved by the Council.
The INTERTANKO Secretariat undertakes the secretarial and administrative tasks for the Committee.
The Asian Regional Panel will report to the Executive Committee and INTERTANKO’s Council.
9. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- 9.1. The Asian Regional Panel through its Chairman, will identify tanker issues which Asian members consider important and vital. These issues may or may not be particular to the Asian region.
- 9.2. Follow-up actions to the issues referred to in 9.1., once approved by the Council will be relayed to the respective INTERTANKO Committees and Working Group as necessary.
- 9.3. The Panel will elect the Asian representatives to the INTERTANKO Council and nominate representatives to the INTERTANKO Executive Committee.
- 9.4. In order to boost the participation of Asia’s tanker shipping interests in the activities of the Association, the Panel will pay due regard to relevant work being done on INTERTANKO Committees and encourage and recommend Asian members to be represented in such committees.
Main aims of the Asian Panel
- To provide a forum for the Asian membership to enhance their participation in the activities of the Association within the Asian membership
- To promote the objectives, policies and strategies of the Association
- To promote the activities and priorities of Asian Members in relation to the overall activities of the INTERTANKO governing bodies and committees
- To address key tanker issues in Asia
"While Asia offers all the promises for a shipping market revival on the back of continued Asian economic growth, it also bears all the burdens of regulatory compliance because over half of the world’s ships and shipping are owned and operated out of Asia. The Asian Regional Panel works hard to ensure an Asian voice in the tanker industry resonates within the halls of global regulatory compliance and promotes awareness and proactivity amongst Asia’s tanker owners."
Kenneth Koo (Group Chairman and CEO, TCC Group)
INTERTANKO Asian Panel Chairman
- Safety of navigation and environmental protection in the Asian Coastal Waters
- Piracy and armed robbery in the region
- Port reception facilities in Asia
- Port State Control
The Asian Regional Panel meets twice a year rotating between the maritime centres in Asia. All Members in Asia or Members with offices in Asia are welcome to attend the panel meetings.
Secretary: Elfian Harun
INTERTANKO Asian Regional Panel Meeting, 19 May 2022 – Agenda and live stream
The INTERTANKO Asian Regional Panel meeting will be held in-person in Singapore on Thursday 19 May 2022, from 0930hrs to... MORE
Asian Regional Panel meeting – Singapore, 19 May 2022 – Register now
The next Asian Regional Panel (ARP) meeting takes place on Thursday 19 May 2022, in Singapore. The meeting, to be... MORE
Asian Regional Panel meeting report
INTERTANKO’s Asian Regional Panel meeting was held virtually on 30 September 2021. The meeting was chaired by M. Denny M.... MORE
Panels Week: Asian Regional Panel meeting report
INTERTANKO's Asian Regional Panel meeting was held virtually on Thursday 30 September 2021, with some 67 Members and guests participating... MORE
Panels Week: Asian Regional Panel meeting, 30 September 2021 - Register now
The Asian Regional Panel meeting will be held virtually on Thursday 30 September 2021 from 1500-1800 Singapore/Hong Kong local time... MORE
Navigational Safety in Asian Coastal Waters
INTERTANKO's Asian Panel is engaged with regional and national authorities in regards to the safety of navigation in China and... MORE